The New Mutants

The New Mutants ★★★★

Colour me surprised, I absolutely loved The New Mutants. Superhero movies, big Marvel and DC things really are not my bag at all, I’ve never actually seen an X-Men movie in my life, I know what I like and those movies ain’t it. Something about The New Mutants intrigued me though, the fact that it’s a horror spin-off, the fact that it’s a movie that just kept getting bounced around from release date to release date whilst not just getting dumped on VOD, and having one of my favourites, Anya Taylor-Joy in a starring role, I was excited to watch it.

Going into it it didn’t expect much because since its release it’s been met with near-universal hatred and disdain from fans, which also added to my excitement to see it, I’m a sucker for a good b-movie. I think one of the reasons why it was so easy for me to enjoy is because I haven’t read the comics and I’m unfamiliar with this series, so I had no preconceived ideas about the story and characters.

I got major Dream Warriors meets M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass vibes, the institution was a great setting for a story like this, quite small and self-contained which I really like. Also, making it a horror picture over a straight superhero X-men thing seemed fitting for these characters.

Anya Taylor-Joy is the standout among the cast, but that’s nothing new really, she’s always the standout. The whole cast was a delight actually, the actor playing Roberto was perfectly delicious.

I’m just really surprised at this movie overall. I love having my expectations exceeded because you sell a movie short before you’ve even seen it. Give it a few years and it’ll find its audience and will have a respectable cult following I reckon.

Lastly, it was gay af. So much lesbian content, I was cheering.

B E R T liked these reviews