Dolemite Is My Name

Dolemite Is My Name ★★★½

Rude and crude this story about a group of odd ball's coming together to make a movie is both heartwarming and funny. It plays a lot like a 70's blaxploitation version of Ed Wood (same writer's) and that's awesome. Bolstered by a impressive and expansive cast it reaches some real heights. Wesley Snipes turned is a real scene stealer.

However I wish Eddie Murphy went a little further into his Rudy Ray Moore character. Don't get me wrong he is great and energetic but he's a very good impressionist and I feel he could have gone for the voice and nailed it. The film can also overreach for the heartfelt a little too much reiterating in monologues what the audience already picked up a while ago. It is also predictable, predictable but pleasent.

All in all it's nice to see Eddie Murphy doing a project today where he is actually trying. While I haven't seen Dolemite I have checked out and enjoyed Petey Wheatstraw so I'm not unversed in Rudy Ray Moore's style of comedy. I will say this has me wanting to check it out more than ever, so I guess mission accomplished.

Would recommend.