Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth ★★★★

Well, before I start talking about this particular film, I'd like to say that this isn't the first Guillermo Del Toro film I watched. In fact, the first one I watched was Pacific Rim, wich was... kinda a "whatever" film. And it was kinda a disappointment knowing that he could've made "The Hobbit Duology".

Not that I don't like The Hobbit Trilogy tho, those films were really important in introducing me to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. But I think seeing Guillermo's vision of one of my favorite books of all time would have been a really intriguing experience.

So I wanted to see if all of his films were on the same level as Pacific Rim, so I started with probably his most famous work: Pan's Labyrinth. And it's kinda a completely different film in terms of tone AND quality, because damn is great.

The direction is pretty good, the score is really beautiful and outstanding, the cinematography is great, and the characters are really well fleshed out, and some of the actors really help that. And I find the protagonist to be really relatable, even if most of her choices aren't really as relatable.

And the story is full of themes to be learnt, that are actually really important for our modern society. It talks about war and its concequences, it talks about family and how we should be close to our parents or friends whenever they are in need. And sometimes, it even talk about art itself and how we, as human beings, should understand it.

So if you like Cinema or even art as an overall important element for our society, you can enjoy this one, and I'm looking foward to see what else does Guillermo have to offer.

8/10