The Hateful Eight ★★★★

Still gathering my thoughts on THE HATEFUL EIGHT from last night. I found it to be a mean, difficult film, which I don't think it necessarily a bad thing...but, as with every post-JACKIE BROWN Tarantino movie, I understand where many of the mixed/negative reactions are coming from. I found the protracted unpleasantness an interesting choice, but I didn't wake up any of the audience members around me for their take on whether any of it was offensive.

For me, there are Tarantino films that improve with age and repeat viewing (PULP FICTION, JACKIE BROWN), films where the first viewing was by far the best (DEATH PROOF, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS) and at least one where my opinion bounces back and forth between like and dislike (DJANGO UNCHAINED). I expect the length, pace and tone will make THE HATEFUL EIGHT one I return to less frequently than his 90s work, but I'm curious to see how it plays a year or two from now.

I can't help noticing that this is the second Tarantino film to explicitly reference the late Wes Craven's original LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT. Craven was a frustratingly inconsistent filmmaker and likely won't be remembered as a “great artist” in the way Tarantino undoubtedly will be. So it's worth noting that Tarantino's homages contain way less visceral power than the original LAST HOUSE moments they sample.

Bill liked this review