High Life ★★★★½

While on the surface it's a science fiction film, it was always going to be a Claire Denis film and she continues to explore the darker recesses of human nature in High Life. Working in English for the first time and having most of the film happen within a environment specifically designed and constructed for the film added another layer of intrigue to this film.

As with all of her films, it's concerned with the actors, memories, desire, and the way all of those things blend together. There is a subtle beauty in the details we see as the narrative moves through time and space. The fragmentary nature of memory is reflected in the film with visual clues giving us indications of when something happened. A series of enigmatic flashbacks on earth are shot on Super-16 film giving them a distinctive and haunting visual texture. By focussing on character and not plot it is a refreshing change from the usual blockbuster science fiction film. The experiments and science are in the background and Denis is concerned with how isolation and the claustrophobic environment of a box hurtling through space reveals and changes who we are.