2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★½

In Space No One Can Hear You Scream... The Classical Music Is Simply Too Loud

I first watched 2001: A Space Odyssey this time last year and really liked it, I have now just rewatched it and still really like it... but I don't love it. Kubrick's use of classical music and models create some spectacular visuals and are what you think of when you think 2001... but they are also the reason why the film is so boring.

I can understand that Kubrick wanted to show the endlessness of space and just how big it actually is which he excelled at which in my eyes is a bad thing. Space is endless and therefore rather boring due to the thousands of miles of empty space which you really do feel and it doesen't take long for you to completely loose interest in the visuals because of how slow and monotonous the film can be.

What saves 2001 from being a complete and total bore is Hal who is easily the most interesting character in the film and works as an fascinating exploration into an AI that is able to think and feel like a human and with such human emotions also come human error and freewill.

I liked the Evolution aspect of the film which shows a primate learning how to use a weapon and then cuts to a man made space ship floating through the galaxy. Even though the Primate section went on for too long I think that it was handled very well and its crazy to think just how far we have come as a species and how much further we are have are going to go.

I am sure that you have all heard hundreds of theories about 2001's ending so I wont drone on for too long about what I think happened and will try to make it brief. I believe that the obelisk is some kind on advanced camera/mirror that allows higher lifeforms to monitor lesser developed species such as the Primates that we see at the start of the film and also the humans who are advanced but compared to them are stuck in the stone age.

At the end of the film Bowman is transported to the room. I believe that this room is an exhibit in an alien zoo where the aliens have created a familiar habitat for the man much like humans would for an animal in a zoo. The aliens then monitor the humans daily activities through the obelisk which we see snippets of until he eventually dies of natural causes.

I could be completely wrong about these theories but this is what I believe is going on and half of the fun is trying to understand what is going on. I can understand why 2001 is regarded as one of the best films of all time but in my opinion its not a masterpiece and instead just a really good film that was way ahead of its time.

BjorkShandy liked these reviews