Death Walks on High Heels ★★★

An enjoyably bonkers Luciano Ercoli giallo that already feels like a parody of the genre despite only having been made in 1971. In fact, the disjointed plotting reaches all the way back to the Italian thriller's British literary antecedents for inspiration, which also shaped the West German Krimi genre. Of all the Ercoli/Susan Scott collaborations, this one develops along more typical police procedural lines and eventually morphs half-way-through to a Krimi template involving a pair of incompetent Scotland Yard detectives who are reliant more on luck than judgement in their pursuit of a crazed killer who follows Scott's character ( the daughter of a murdered jewel thief, and an 'exotic' dancer!) from her apartment in Paris to a remote English coastal fishing village hideout filled with a quintessentially Italian take on our eccentric pub locals: these include a cross-dressing caretaker with a wooden hand ("please forgive me ... It's a vice, a vice I tell you!"), and a peeping tom ex-ships' captain. Despite its ridiculously haphazard plotting and unusual structure, designed to wrong foot the viewer at every turn, this ends up being a solid gialli entry, filled with all the requisite genre elements including lurid sex-and-murder scenes and a fabulous euro-lounge score (from Stelvio Cipriani) that can be cheesy or atmospheric when required.