BlacKkKlansman ★★★★★

It feels so good to see Spike Lee back to making impactful and powerful films again. BlacKkKlansman is based on the book of the same name about the case of a black police officer named Ron Stallworth who goes undercover with the help of another fellow white police officer to infiltrate and stop the influence of the Ku Klux Klan in Colorado Springs. John David Washington is dynamite as the main character, he has a future in leading roles and I would love to see him get more opportunities to showcase his talent. Adam Driver was great as well and I was impressed with the way he was able to portray the inner conflict between being a Jew and having to play the role of a racist bigot in order to fully immerse himself into the Klan. Laura Harrier and Topher Grace deserve high marks as well; well acted movie all around. The subject matter was very uncomfortable to watch and that was the main point of the movie. If seeing a group of people want to tear down and even killed another group of people because of the pigment they carry doesn't make you angry, then that is a sign of worry. Spike Lee is able to bridge the gap between the film's setting of the 1970's along with the current problems minorities face today in the United States of America. It was all done masterfully well without it being overbearing or coming off as too contrite. A lot of stylistic camera shots give the film a kind of 70's blaxploitation esthetic which Lee uses to puts us in the time frame of the film and as a tribute to the era of movies featuring black leading actors in a diverse and wide variety of characters. On the surface, this film is something that we as a country need at this time; a movie that could act as a lightning rod to continuing on the path of ridding our society of the plague that is racism. A fantastic work of art, can you dig it?

BlackNerdMagic liked these reviews