Sardar Udham

Sardar Udham ★★★★★

Sardar Udham is one of the best history movies ever, maybe even the best. I don't think I've seen a history movie that is as well made or emotionally heavy as this one. It feels just like a history lesson, told in tales throughout specific periods of time in the life of Udham Singh. I think this narrative structure works really well in this movie, alternating between Udham's journey to London, the assassination of Micheal O'Dwyer, and Udham's young life that shows us why he became a revolutionary and why he decided to take the journey he did in the first place. You can tell everyone involved in this movie cared deeply about it, director Shoojit Sircar researched Udham Singh for two decades before beginning production on the film, and extra care is taken to avoid disrespecting the revolutionary. Vicky Kaushal's performance is a standout from the movie, as he plays the character with more respect and emotion than most other actors in historical roles that I have seen. You can tell he is acting his heart out in every scene that he is in, trying to encapsulate the emotion and determination that comes from Udham Singh's cause, and he succeeds in every way. His standout moment is in the Jallianwala Bagh sequence, which along with the direction and cinematography, makes for one of the most heart-wrenching and difficult to watch acts in cinema history. But what was the point of Shoojit Sircir making this movie? Why did he want to make a movie about Udham Singh, off all people? Overall, I believe this movie is a deconstruction of revolutions and how we view history. Revolutionaries such as Udham Singh are labeled as terrorists and maniacs by the media and the history books in our school in order to uphold a country's ideals and practices. However, while terrorists want to spread fear, revolutions want to spread a message. Udham Singh's whole motive in his journey to London to assassinate Michael O'Dwyer was to send a message about the true nature of the British imperialism. But after the deed was done, Singh was captured and sentenced to death, Britain went to work on covering up the true motive of Udham Singh before people found out why he really did it. And that, I believe, is one of the key themes of the movie. To force ourselves to look at ourselves and how we view history, how we bury revolutionaries who stand up against the system that causes their people suffering, how the modern world selects our own history and turns us into the people that Udham Singh and many other revolutionaries gave their lives to fight against. No one else writes the history books for us. We do it ourselves. In one of Udham Singh's final moments before his death sentence, he states that the Jallianwala Bagh massacre is just a footnote in Britian's history, written in fine print in some book. This is almost as horrific as the actual event itself, because with the selective history we practice in today's society, we can cause generations upon generations to forget about the cause of a suffering country. In conclusion, Sardar Udham is a magnum opus of storytelling and theme. Every aspect of this movie is perfection, and I couldn't recommend it enough to someone who is interested in history, world issues, and basically anyone who watches movies because this is something I believe everyone needs to see. We must not let tyranny block out the visions of these revolutionaries who give their lives to their cause.

𝑳𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝑳𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝑼𝒅𝒉𝒂𝒎 𝑺𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒉