The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II ★★★½

The secret Rocky prequel, clocking in at 3 hours 20 minutes is the longest single movie I've ever seen (I count Nymphomaniac as one but whatever).

I really wasn't into this movie for the first hour, and while I enjoyed it more afterwards, I just couldn't find myself getting very interested in anything that happened at all.

I get the appeal, but like I said with the first film, I really don't think these movies are for me. I can understand why someone would like it, but I don't personally see it that way.

I felt that the themes in these movies only run so deep, making the long runtimes frankly insulting, as you're sitting there for a longer period of time than, say, a 9 minute Don Hertzfeldt animation, getting faaaaaaaaaar less information in the span of almost 4 hours.

I wanted to be able to say I like this movie, but I really don't know. It's not bad or anything, but about half of the movie I was just thinking about Full Metal Jacket for whatever reason.

One thing I will give this movie is the performance by Robert De Niro. He does a great job impersonating Marlon Brando in the first film, and I wish more of the movie was about him, it was a real pleasure watching him. It's nice to see De Niro this young again, it makes me want to rewatch Taxi Driver, which I think would have been a much better use of my time.

Eh.