Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad ★★★

I gotta say that I enjoyed this one a little more on this rewatch with lowered expectations and knowing what I'd get.

The film is launched like a Knight Rider episode where they would usually introduce a new fancy gadget to K.I.T.T. early in the episode only for it to turn out immensely useful in the plot to follow. Suicide Squad is like that, too, because as soon as the squad is assembled, there's a threat to put them up against.

The cast is great and especially Will Smith as Deadshot and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn steal the show and Jai Courtney adds yet another good role to the damaged reputation he had in my book. Amanda Waller is a great antagonistic character and overall the casting feels fittingly diverse.

The effects work is great and I particularly liked the black goo destruction look of objects that strongly reminded me of a film called Splinter. Furthermore, the Enchantress transition was marvelous and especially unique the first time they showed it.

Steven Price provides an efficient and occasionally great score but the film primarily relies on playing good, if often shortly featured, soundtrack choices. Price's score, however, gels fine with Ayer's film since the two have collaborated before. Something that can probably only be said about the Whedon reshoot scenes in terms of Elfman's score for Justice League.

I'm going to give this one a "cut is key" tag because overall the film's Extended Cut flows better than the Theatrical Cut but all in all it is still more of the same film.

My biggest concerns:
The generic "beam to the sky" threat plot that seems too over-the-top for the Suicide Squad to fight against and always leaves room for questions like "where was superhero xyz during all of this?", which I don't expect answers to, but when you have someone like Diablo in the mix you probably need this big a threat to put him to best use.

Unfortunately, Jared Leto's Joker performance took me a lot of getting used to and didn't really do anything for me. In all fairness, Heath Ledger left immensely big shoes to fill for the role.

Ralf liked these reviews