Spring ★★★★

This is why I love independent cinema. Filmmakers Moorhead & Benson (check out their previous endeavor called Resolution) have crafted a profoundly moving romance with deep mythological underpinnings, which steadily manifests into grotesque body horror. The friction love creates, whether you consider it to be a biological response or something metaphysical, is something to be cherished for however long you can hold on to it amongst the various ups and downs of life. For in your darkest moments, that feeling can be a potent reminder that you are not alone in the world. Embrace it, even against your better judgement. I don't want to reveal too much about the plot, for it is best to be experienced cold. The chemistry between the leads, Lou Taylor Pucci and Nadia Hilker, is natural and dynamic. I bought their relationship every step of the way. The screenplay is cleverly written and embraces, as well as subverts, various genre elements without any sense of irony. The film is also stunningly photographed, capturing the Italian setting in all of its ravishing glory. A few particular shots stand out, an expertly conceived long take that ramps up the tension, and a stunning final shot that took my breath away. It's an emotionally satisfying ending to a thematically rich and empathetic picture. I'm smitten.

Blain liked these reviews