Yakuza Apocalypse

Yakuza Apocalypse ★★★★

Takashi Miike directs the living fuck out of this deliriously gonzo opus, which single-handedly gives a whole new meaning to the word "batshit." Does it make a lick of sense? No. Does it matter? Hell no. This is the type of gleeful free-for-all that jam packs as many loony ideas as possible that it threatens to collapse under its own twisted, indulgent weight. Except, it doesn't. It's an assured piece of filmmaking through and through, thoughtfully crafted with the passion and respect it likely doesn't deserve. You can tell right from the beginning that a sensitive hand guides you effortlessly through every scene, taking its time to build up the ridiculousness without suffocating the audience to death with it all at once. I certainly appreciated that approach very much. I really don't know how it works this well at all. Just know that if you have a taste for the weird ass cinema of Miike, I see no reason to not check this out ASAP. There is no way to adequately tell you how much I loved every WTF moment in this without coming off like a bumbling idiot. You just have to commit and experience the insanity first hand. If you begin to cackle as the heavy metal scored end credits roll, you will know this was a match made in heaven. It's the type of delightful cackle that solidifies that you have discovered a new cult item. Even if you hate it, I will understand. But that still won't change the fact that YAKUZA APOCALYPSE simply understands me. I will cherish my time with it until the day I croak like a frog. Unless I become a vampire. That would rule.

Blain liked these reviews