Maniac Cop

Maniac Cop ★★★

Look at the size of those hematomas!

Last night I at the last minute heard that The Last Drive-In on Shudder was going to show the first two Maniac Cop movies; as I haven't seen any of those, the late evening was spent with Joe Bob Briggs, Darcy the Mail Girl, Bruce Campbell, and William Lustig as special guests. Tomorrow night will be my review of Maniac Cop 2.

A movie that involves Tom Atkins, Campbell, Lustig, Richard Roundtree, William Smith, Sheree North, Robert Z'Dar, a Larry Cohen script and two songs from David Carradine (?!) will of course sound appealing to me. It could have been something I loved... instead it was more a like but that is OK. In 2021, all the talk concerning the public not trusting police officers and fear that some are trigger-happy or violent goons... even Cohen might have not realized how prescient he was. Anyhow, someone in a cop uniform is murdering citizens, stoking fear among the general public. It's not long before those investigating realize this case has a supernatural bent.

It can be easy to criticize various aspects; I won't rip it to shreds as this was a B-movie good time which had various kills (even if they weren't the most inventive), some big stunts, memorable dialogue, a few sleazy moments, and a story which always intrigued. Personally, this set up its first sequel well and that was important as I feel Maniac Cop 2 did it better but I'll explain why tomorrow.

Blair Russell liked these reviews