Blade II ★★★★

2018 Superhero Rewatch: In which I return to superhero movies I've seen before to see how time has treated them.

How do you prove your bad guy in a sequel is worse than the original? Make it so vile that the hero has to team up with his usual enemies to take it down. Meet the Reapers, a new breed of monster that can feed on human and vampire alike, and that bear more than a passing resemblance to the vampires from Guillermo del Toro's later series The Strain. This movie, visually, is quite a step up from the first film just four years prior, although I doubt anybody watching this movie in 2002 suspected they were seeing the work of a future Best Director winner.

The Reapers themselves look cool, but they don't quite have the villainous charm of Deacon Frost from the original. It helps that Ron Perlman and a pre-Walking Dead Norman Reedus are in the cast. It's hard to rank this in comparison to the first one. It looks better, it's got a good cast and a good story. It's just that the bad guy isn't quite as much fun. I'll rank this one ahead of the original, but not by much.