Blade ★★★★

2018 Superhero Rewatch: In which I return to superhero movies I've seen before to see how time has treated them.

People like to point to X-Men, but I've always considered this film, celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, to be the true beginning of the modern superhero movie era. Big-budget, but taking the subject matter seriously. Unlike the most recent (at the time) Batman movies, director Stephen Norrington didn't try to make a "comic book" movie (as if all comic books were exactly like Adam West's Batman), but instead just set out to make an action movie that happens to have a superhero and a vampire. It's amazing how many filmmakers never understand that you just have to make a good movie first and foremost, instead of hitting some checklist of what a comic book movie "should" be.

The fight scenes are incredible and, while some of the CGI doesn't hold up, the movie is still a lot of fun to watch. Every so often, somebody buzzes about adding Blade -- and maybe even Wesley Snipes -- to the MCU. I'd be all for that.