The Bourne Supremacy ★★

I don't have a whole lot to say about this film. Where Identity surprised me because it was better than I remembered, Supremacy lived down to my memories of it. Where the plot in Identity was strong, there is very little logical plot in Supremacy. Where the fights and chases in Identity made sense, in Supremacy they shake the camera like a 3-year-old after downing a Red Bull. So in the end, I got very little enjoyment out of this movie. I'll reiterate my opinion from my Identity review and say that I think Matt Damon is horrendous as an action star and I continued to hate his performance in this movie. In fact I didn't really find anyone who I really liked in the cast, with the possible exception of Julia Stiles (but she only gets a couple small scenes to work with.) Karl Urban could have been good, but he had almost no lines and basically just had to look like a killer for most of the movie. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like anything in the movie, there were moments I enjoyed quite a bit. It was particularly nice when it felt like Bourne was 5 steps ahead of everyone else, but that kind of stuff was very limited in this film. He felt out of control for most of the movie, and was just playing catch-up.

I think what made me the most angry with The Bourne Supremacy, and what made all those other flaws stand out more, is the entire "Chaos Cinema" technique. Those rapid cuts combined with the extremely shaky handheld camera make it utterly impossible for me to get mentally oriented in the action. Therefore, instead of just going with it and trying to connect the dots to understand the scene, my mind just shuts down and I almost need to close my eyes to avoid nausea. It happens both in the fight scenes and the chases. There's one car chase in the movie where I literally lost track of which car Bourne was driving because they kept cutting so fast. I'm not sure what the logic is behind this type of film-making, but if Paul Greengrass or Oliver Wood are responsible for the way action scenes are filmed nowadays because of this film, then I'd like to punch them in the gut. Perhaps it is a technique to make you feel like you are in the middle of the action, but I don't shake that much even when I'm running full speed so I don't know why the camera would do that. Maybe it's intended to artificially intensify the action, but I actually find it less intense because I can't tell what is going on. As a result I just kept getting frustrated with this movie, and therefore I'd recommend people skip it. It is not interesting or engaging, it is merely annoying.