Modern Life Is Rubbish

Modern Life Is Rubbish

-Blur?
-Which álbum?
-The Best Of.........It’s mine.

Flashback:
-I wouldn’t buy that one.
-Excuse me?
-I wouldn’t buy The Best Of. Its cheating. Best ofs are like a shortcut to enlightenment. If you want to get into Blur properly, then you need to appreciate the musical odyssey that they went through. Look, this is just a hodgepodge. The songs aren’t even in order or release. It’s a complete mess. You should do it properly. Work your way through the oeuvre. See, most people make the mistake of starting with Parklife, but there was two other albums before. People just lump Blur with Oasis and assume Parklife was some kind of overnight sensation, like Definitely Maybe. They don’t appreciate their roots, how their sound evolved over many years. Your best bet is to go back to square one with Leisure and move through to Modern Life is Rubbish. Then you’ll have earned Parklife, before you move on to...
- Sorry. Do you work here?
- So anyway, yeah, I mean, I’d start with Leisure. And I’d try and get it on vinyl. It’s a much richer sound. I’m just trying to help.
-Thanks for the advice, but I already have the entire Blur canon on CD and vinyl. My cousin used to be one of their roadies.
- We’ll, then why are you bothering with that?
- Because this is the two-disc límited edition with the live recording of their Wembley concert.
- Ok. Sorry. Didn’t mean to bug you. I just fucking love Blur!

Hugo D. liked these reviews