Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

He’s a wonderful actor

Every once in a while, a movie comes around that I know will stick with me on a personal level for years to come. Never did I expect Once Upon a Time in Hollywood directed by fucking Quentin Tarantino to be one of those movies, yet here we are. Everywhere from the whole laid back vibe of it all, to the homage to the Golden Age of Hollywood (and really Hollywood in general), to the amazing respects it pays to Sharon Tate. Tarantino crafts something that is truly special and proves how incredible restrained Tarantino can be.

Rick Dalton and Cliff Booth are easily his best written characters due in large part to the authentic feeling you get from them. They feel like two actual best friends that actually existed in this time. Neither have one set gimmick as most of QT’s characters seem to, they’re just human, even with Cliff being a world class bad-ass. If you have a really close friend, their dynamic is sure to click with you, and it certainly does with me. I could watch those two go about their lives in a whole separate movie for hours on in. Their chemistry is THAT incredible.

Now onto Sharon Tate. Sure, she doesn’t say too much in this, but it’s the incredible respects this movie pays to her, and how it handles her as the slightly flawed, yet incredibly wholesome and optimistic human being that she was. It doesn’t treat her as “just a murder victim”. It just shows us the reasons as to why she meant so much to many people, and how bright of a future she had in Hollywood. Every scene with her brought a tear to my because of how beautifully it was all handled (and don’t even get me started on how much I bawled at the ending.)

This is a type of movie we probably won’t ever see again, and that’s completely fine with me. I’d also be completely alright with it if QT decides to call it quits with this, as it’s not only his best work ever, it’s a masterpiece and the best movie of the year. I’m so grateful of it’s existence, and even with its long runtime and very slow pace, it’s a movie I’ll constantly revisit. The 35mm viewing only enhanced how much I love this movie, and you can definely expect it to get some Chandler Awards love.

The train has left the station.

Matthias liked these reviews