Baby Driver ★★★★

There's a lot to like with Baby Driver for me, combining a killer soundtrack with eccentric characters and a couple of good car chases. That ticks almost all of my boxes.

The best thing about the film is the combination of that killer soundtrack with the story and events within the film. The use of music is a sort of ballet of motion with the car chases and gunfights, where the e-brake drift and bullets fly all in time with the music in our ears. This extravagant choreography is a rare treat in film, and it becomes a pleasant and exciting feeling inside our ears and our minds.

The story here provides a good launching pad for the film's events, but at the end of the day it's not the most original or unique crime saga. There is some level of unpredictability and character actions that buck an expectation, but overall it lacks any groundbreaking moment or narrative.

The characters are great though, especially those portrayed by Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm. They bring some hilarious and/or chaotic but memorable performances to the film that outshine those around them. Ansel Elgort and Lily James are sufficient; they both fulfill the needs of the characters but don't elevate the them beyond the minimum expectation.

The story acts as a good vehicle (see what I did there?) for the film's killer soundtrack and choreography, and some of the characters bring memorable performances to film. But some unspectacular character performances (and sadly lacking much diversity) combined with the standard story still can hold the film back from breaking through into greatness.