Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ★★★★★

A black comedy about global thermonuclear devastation ... I won't say that only Kubrick could pull something like this off, but now that the film has been with us for fifty years I think it's safe to say that no one will ever do it this well.

From the now-classic Pablo Ferro title sequence to Vera Lynn's closing song this film is a masterpiece. Everything works ... beautifully written, strikingly shot and edited ... and then there's the cast: Sterling Hayden as the frighteningly unhinged (and abundantly quotable) Gen. Jack D. Ripper, the three classic roles by Peter Sellers, Slim Pickens playing himself (of course), and best of all, George C. Scott, the victim of a cunning director, turning in one of the best comedic performances of all time (from Wikipedia: "Kubrick tricked Scott into ... doing over the top "practice" takes, which Kubrick told Scott would never be used, as a way to warm up for the "real" takes. Kubrick used these takes in the final film, causing Scott to swear never to work with Kubrick again.").

I grew up in the 50's and 60's but I skipped the Cowboys and Indians phase most of my friends passed through and played Army or Spies instead. So naturally when I saw the soldiers and the B-52's in the trailer I made it a point to be in the theater when this film was released ... eleven years old, by myself on a Saturday afternoon. To say it wasn't quite what I expected would be an epic understatement. But I still thought it was amazing ... it was confusing at times but also funny, scary and exciting ... and most important of all, it made me look at films differently from that day on.

Bob liked these reviews