A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place ★★★★

Just a dang good new horror flick.

This ones built off a very solid concept: in a world where killer creatures have taken over the planet, a family tries to survive by not making a single sound because sound is how the creatures find you. So they really take this concept and run with it, totally reminding you of the magic of cinema with every clever use of sound design and tightly written action sequence.

What really surprised me though was how much heart it had. It's a very tender film in the moments between the horror. I could see that turning off a ton of people as it delves into some heavy moments of sentimentality. However, it just worked for me.
After feeling your blood rushing through your body after some truly terrifying and suspenseful scenes, that swelling of emotion when something sad or warm happens between the characters overwhelms in just the right way.

The performances are pretty strong with Emily Blunt and John Krasinski flexing some subtle-but-deft acting chops. However, it's the character of the deaf daughter played by Millicent Simmonds that really made me go 'oh damn she is gooooood'.

Overall it's a very effective horror film. The intense thrill ride moments that balance out all the sweetness and sadness somehow encapsulate both the cleverness of Jurassic Park's wildest moments and The Descent's legitimately freaky action scenes. Great movie and one that I'm very glad to have seen in the theatres

(even if I wanted to murder a handful of obnoxious audience members)

Bob liked these reviews