Under the Silver Lake ★★★½

This feels like the dictionary definition of a 3.5 film.
So much yes yes yes but so often a big ol' NO that keeps you from truly GOING THERE...

David Robert Mitchell's follow-up to It Follows is a gigantic film noir, not unlike PT Anderson's Inherent Vice, but far more bratty and surreal for better or worse.
You follow Sam (Andrew Garfield) float from scene to scene as he tries to crack this missing girl/dog killer/comic book/secret codes, always knee deep in his sexual urges, a curious but aloof DIY detective that you don't know whether to trust but stuck with for 2 hours and 20 minutes.

And yes, at 2 hours and 20 minutes, this one is so uneven that it'll give you whiplash. Tasteful Hitchcock nod here, tasteless Hitchcock reference there, a beautiful moment of cinematography here, a brutal moment of bad music there, a delirious dash of mystery here, a moment ripped out of The Stupids there.

But damn... the audacity of this film really made me grin and want to love it and revisit it in the near future.
I HIGHLY (pun intended) recommend this one on some form of substance because I took this one in on an edible kicking in way too hard/fast and it made me feel like I was watching Paul Thomas Anderson's remake of Ryan's Babe.

So yeah, 4 star experience of a 3.5 flawed but frenetic film.

Bob liked these reviews