Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★

I'm not much of a horror fan. It's just not a genre I gravitate to, mostly because we seem to be inundated with rote cookie-cutter crap that relies solely on some ghostie yelling "Boo". I'm not looking for the momentary fright that jump scares give you, I want to feel unease. I want a horror film's plot to captivate me, disturb me, stress me out a little. And wow did I find a good one.

This is my first time experiencing anything from director Ari Aster, and already it's a name to remember. If there's anything you've heard yet about Midsommar, it's the directing and set design I'm sure. I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost every shot in this movie looks like a matte painting. This movie is quite a slow burn too but the scenery alone will keep you watching long enough to get to the "festivities".

As far as the cast, I'll be honest, the only standout for me is Florence Pugh as Dani Ardor. She suffers a tragedy within the first few minutes of the movie and it endears her to the audience pretty quickly. You really hope that this fun Swedish excursion is what Dani needs to clear her mind.

It's not like the rest of the cast are bad actors though, Will Poulter plays a good asshole and William Jackson Harper plays a good nerd (Plus I like him on The Good Place). But Jack Reynor as Christian fell a little flat for me, which isn't great considering his deteriorating relationship with Dani is at the core of the film. I needed him to be a little more likeable than he actually was.

Like it matters though, if you're like me you'll be distracted by the serene beauty and anticipation of the fucked up things you're about to... wait did that old Swedish woman jump off a cliff? Wait, oh my god what the fuck is in that cake?! And dont tell me that tea is... Oh there's no way I'm coming back next summer.

Bohden liked these reviews