Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★½

One of the best looking blockbusters ever made. If that’s not enough hyperbole I can safely say there isn’t a single scene in any MCU movie that even comes close to the craft and energy of Raiders. I can’t give it 5 because it doesn’t balance well enough between its high action sequences and it’s plot centric scenes. But I will also say no lead action character or actor comes close to Indy. His comedy is what I want in my action heros, he has the perfect balance of anger while being sort of dumbfounded as to what’s going on. His grins and eye pops are akin to Ash in Evil Dead but when Indy gets pissed he captures whatever room the movie is playing in. Also I get overly sensitive when people attack older movies for being sexist. And I know Karen Allen is objectified in this and screams for Indys help a lot. But she fucking holds her own often and saves Indy as many times as Indy saves her. She out drinks every man and I just respect moments like her in the plane killing a dozen nazis without a Cameron Diaz like shot of her all wide eyed and shocked at what she did. She just fucking killed nazis. Just like we don’t see Indy karate killing Nazis I don’t want to see Karen Allen karate killing Nazis.

Andrew liked these reviews