Housebound

Housebound ★★★

I don't have all that much to say about Housebound to be honest.

It's a solid enough horror-comedy (but not super heavy on the comedy part) that never quite feels like a home run and doesn't fully commit to being a scarefest, a goofy, self-aware romp or a mystery thriller (which it also toys with). I think the best film to compare it with would be Ti West's The Innkeepers — they both have a similarly quirky tone and neither left much of an impact on me (although, to be clear, I think this is superior).

The story's fine, but unremarkable. Primarily, I think it's the performances that give this film most of its strengths. We've got a small group of distinctively written characters, all of them played by actors capable of handling both horrified surprise and slightly offbeat belly-laugh lines. In particular, I really enjoyed seeing Rima Te Wiata of Hunt for the Wilderpeople again.

So, yeah. This is fine. It comes to a climax that is actually pretty great, but then sort of ruins it by doing the multiple-ending thing, as the director appeared to have two conclusions in mind and decided to just use them both, back to back.