Breathe In ★★★★

Writer/Director Drake Doremus' follow-up to the very likeable Like Crazy (2011) takes his voyeuristic, documentary and cinéma vérité fused storytelling techniques to the next level in Breathe In. Guy Pearce plays a frustrated middle-age cellist (Keith) who starts to unravel his boring existence as a high school music teacher, as a husband, and as a father, when a talented and sexy young woman (Sophie), played fantastically by Felicity Jones, comes to their family home for an extended visit. Sophie is extremely talented at playing the piano and blows Keith and her classmates away upon first joining Keith's music class. It's at that moment, that Keith starts to really feel an attraction to Sophie, and start to have an emotional affair with her.

I was completely captivated by this story, watching the slow emotional build-up within all the main characters in this story. The performances from everyone in the cast are top notch and have a very natural feel. The cinematography is incredible, not only for it's very low natural light moody feel, but also for the incredible voyeuristic, fly-on-the-wall POV it takes continually throughout the film. I continually felt like I was right there with the characters in the scenes, more than usual. Also of note filmmaking wise is the editing, which really worked to give the film its own unique voice.

So much to love in this small character-driven indie film. I hope it finds its audience over time, since it doesn't seem to be finding them in its theatrical release. This film is definitely the best film I've seen so far in 2014 and will most certainly be in contention for my Top 10 movies of 2014.