Resident Evil: Apocalypse

An online co-op campaign of a movie, where scattered souls are spawned in a hostile city and have to join arms to survive and flee (shout out to Nathan for his sandbox-reading). Takes the whole evil corporation up a whole bunch of notches, which I super enjoy because I love how gleefully anti-capitalist it gets. And Nemesis has always been such a neat thing in this weird-ass franchise, though Witt does not have the chops to make his physique feel as heavy and dangerous as it should be. But it reminded me of the happy hours spent playing RE5 in co-op with a friend, or what I The Division would be like, and that’s all I was hoping for. I miss the sincerity (read: lack of irony and self-deprication) and the dedication to “”cool”” these movies showcase.

Oh, and I wanted to say that I can’t believe my 16-year old self hated this when it came out, but between the incredible epilogue of the previous and the fan-servicey direction this went in (hitting a whole bunch of disconnected beats from RE2 and RE3, which I was obsessed with way back when), I can definitely see why I didn’t thought it lived up to its promise. Thank god I’m old now and I can wholeheartedly say I enjoyed this silly mess.

Bram liked this review