Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

A modern myth passed on from generation to generation, told around bonfires ages from the fall of Umbrella, the tales interconnected through an exquisite corpse style structure, its individual parts increasingly desperate to find humanism in a world laid to ruins by corporate greed. If Blade Runner were the inwardly version of the question “what makes us human”, RE turns outwardly, actively fighting back even in the eyes of total hopelesness to tell us: “you’re so much more than that.”

I was moved to tears by the end of this one, and applaud PWSA for crawling out of plasticity (which I’ve loved so much) and taking this head-on as a dark & grimey faux-Tony Scott style melodrama. The cuts might be a bit in overabundance, but rarely does it loses its readability by accident. PWSA is in total control of his subject and his eye, and leaves us guessing where it’s necessary to maintain the intensity of this last entry. I don’t believe this story could’ve worked in the glossy artifice of the former. This needed to pack a realistic punch, as if the previous entries were nothing but a corporate fever dream. I love how beaten up this movie allows its characters to be, and I love how the elite are kept tidy just to prove their inhumanity to us by visual means. Striving for some ideological concept of purity has never worked out in favour of them, and Dr Isaac’s/Wesker’s uncannily clean faces are emblematic of that.

Too many thoughts about this, and also about Retribution, whose star shines even brighter in light of this one, but all point back to Milla’s and PWSA’s conquest for humanity in the face of capital which especially now plays like a shining beacon of hope.

Bram liked these reviews