The Girlfriend Experience

It’s weird to watch now, 9 years after its release. I remember having those conversations Chris has with his clients. That desperation in the wake of the recession. I remember seeing this in 2010 and starting my freelance business a year after. Nobody wanted to part with their money and yet when they did, they had no idea what to do with the product they just bought (the internet was just settling into the mainstream). Most of my work from around that time has 100 views or less. Thank god, because the stuff I had to make to keep my head above water is not the stuff I want to be widely known. Either way, I started my business in the worst of times, and I simply could not support myself with videowork alone.

So, in 2012 I started working at a callcenter. I was surrounded by poor saps, trying to keep afloat after their business had faltered. I had a superficial relationship with most colleagues and also then did I have those conversations. There’s no money, we’re making due, we won’t be here long, this is a temporary position, it’ll look up again soon. It took me a year to get out of there. I’m not sure what happened to most of my colleagues.

I know all conversations in The Girlfriend Experience are mere transactions, and the frame is only there to capture the relationship between commodity and owner, but within that it captures a moment or a truth about a moment when we suddenly had to adjust to things rapidly falling apart for reasons too abstract to actually understand. Everyone just felt it. It was in the air and the water. And it still is. But we just got used to it, I guess.