Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

I will tell you that as a movie, I didn't "love" Avengers: Endgame. However, as the ending to a franchise, especially a franchise like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I couldn't have asked for a better ending. Now keep in mind that this review is going to be extremely difficult to write because of spoilers, so this review may be a little short.

Movie hype can be a dangerous thing. Get too hyped for a film and it almost will never live up to expectations. Was I expecting this movie to be the best movie I had ever seen? No, I wasn't. I was expecting it to be an epic conclusion that left me completely satisfied. And it did just that. Not everything in the movie is perfect, and there are even some things in the movie that I wasn't a particular fan of, but let me tell you that the third act had me overwhelmed with joy and I left the theatre nodding my head in approval. Thinking to myself, "for all the ways they could have concluded this great saga of films, I couldn't have asked for more."

So without spoiling it, here are the reasons why I enjoyed my time with Avengers: Endgame. First off, it felt conclusive. Of course we know that superhero movies right now are extremely popular and bring in top dollar at the box office, so it would be ridiculous to assume that Disney and Marvel would simply stop making these movies. However, for this "chapter" in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it did have a finality to it that felt satisfying. Sure, they left some room open for some of the smaller characters to continue on more adventures, but most of the main characters like Iron Man and Captain America, they did a great job of ending their stories.

But what is a conclusion without a great "look back" at all of the adventures this franchise has taken us on? Much like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, we revisit many different characters, locations, objects, themes and moments from some of the previous MCU franchises. Sure, some will say that it is only there for nostalgic reasons. While I do agree that it is a severe case of fan service, the movie was able to find a way to incorporate a story around all the nostalgic moments. The nostalgic moments serve the story, rather than a story supporting fan service.

On a more personal level, I enjoyed the fact that Scott Lang (Ant-Man) has a vital role in this movie. Although only appearing in two of his own movies and making a brief appearance in Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man has been somewhat of a laughing stock of the MCU. I mean that in terms of other characters not giving him the same respect like a Captain America, or a Tony Stark as he falls to the way side and is normally the butt-end of jokes. But it is nice to see him make a huge difference to the movie and have a major part in the Avengers plan to save the day.

With that being said, I am also satisfied with the use of Captain Marvel in this movie. If you know me at all, then you would know that I hated Captain Marvel. Then when reading articles about how Captain Marvel was going to be the one to come in and save the day by defeating Thanos, I was not happy. I felt like if we knew all these characters for so long and we know their stories, struggles, personalities, hopes and dreams, etc. and then for the biggest threat the Avengers have ever faced to be defeated by a character who we were just introduced to only a few months ago, in my eyes, I would have felt cheated. I would have thought to myself, "If it was going to be her all along, then why even bother with the 22 other films over the past 11 years?' But thankfully, she is used very sparingly in the movie and isn't the deus ex machina she was reported to be. I know some of you will consider that a spoiler... whoops.

However, the real reason why this film gets a 5/5, is because of the third act. Now, I will be honest here, although I was enjoying what I was seeing on screen for the first and second acts, I did feel the movie start to drag. I felt it's length and I had a little bit of "Avatar" flashbacks. Meaning, I know what's coming, I just wanted to get there sooner. Maybe that was just out of pure anticipation and excitement. Looks like I will have to watch the movie again.

I have often talked about superhero chills. You know that feeling when you see a character do something completely heroic and inspiring that you can't help yourself but want to jump out of your chair and cheer? Well, this movie gave me one of the biggest superhero chills I have ever had. It's right up there with watching Spider-Man as a kid for the very first time. As a fan of these movies and a fan of cinema as a whole, the third act reminded me why I love movies so much.

That is why this film gets the rating that it does. Sure, it may have been a little bit of a windy road to get there, but for a film franchise that spands that many movies over that period of time with that many characters to go out on a high note like that, it was well worth. Thank you for the past 11 years Marvel!