Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★

MCU rerun. Why am I doing this?

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY really shouldn't work as well as it does. It's silly. Despite the smooth special effects, the space-going warfare and battle scenes aren't particularly fresh.

But, at the end of the day, James Gunn's bizarro space-junk off-kilter humor, plus fantastically realized sitcom-level characters, make a goofy space opera that is more energy and enthusiasm than a simple genre manifestation.

Guardians feeds a bit off the Downey Jr/Jon Favreau vibe that launched the MCU. Attractive visuals, offbeat character work, scenario humor. I would suggest, though, that Guardians is closer the 'ELF' Favreau than it is to the 'IRON MAN' Favreau.

Ultimately, Guardians pushes the whole space-melodrama upon MCU, which I feel pulls the combined universe in a direction away from the brilliance and achievement of WINTER SOLDIER and CIVIL WAR.
However, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is a worthwhile piece of fun
on its own, not mention that it was somehow able to effectively combine its cliched climax with an dance-off. Films that do that are on their own wavelength.
B