Rear Window ★★★★★

I haven't much to add to the well-documented awesomeness of REAR WINDOW. Certainly, it's one of Hitchcock's best as it is bursting with storytelling innovation. REAR WINDOW's style, narrative, camera, and character techniques have quite rightly been analyzed, explored, repeated, and ripped-off in the 65 years since this film's release.

What I can say, which made this particular viewing special is that my 10- and 11-year-olds watched this with me. And for them to be drawn in by Stewart's performance and Hitchcock's suspenseful and voyeuristic unraveling of this script was very fun to observe. In an age where media-based entertainment is dropping the notions of structured narrative and poetic style (curse you, Dr. Pimple-Popper and all you YouTuber narcissists), it was so nice to see my boys falling in love with the brilliant storytelling sorcery of Hitchcock. They were empathetic to Stewart and Kelly, and they used their brains to question and solve things along with the characters. This is stuff that watching someone else play Minecraft just can't give you.

#DadsMoviesDontSuck #HitchcockParenting #GoodElectronicsTime #WhenToShowPsycho