Eureka

Eureka ★★★★★

Life is unpredictable.

An individual has the power to destroy our dreams. A singular natural event can strip our hope away. And one action can drastically alter the trajectory of our lives. We can create routines or plan our days out ahead of time, but no one and nothing bends to our wills. As a result, both the best and worst things imaginable can unfold at any given moment.

So, what are we to do when confronted by the horrors we thought we would never encounter? When something so tremendously awful transpires before our very eyes, blinding us from any goodness or comfort we knew before? Are there any answers for moving forward from a traumatic event?

We can look to sacred texts and scholars for solutions. However, there is no all-encompassing manual for working through trauma. We can also look to our family and friends for advice, but their words can only do so much. Because no one traumatic event is the same, and traumatic events do not uniformly impact us. How to cope with and move forward from experiences that scar us will always be a process of trial and error.

And this process may be lifelong. We may never be able to pick back up from when we were last happiest. Because, when traumatized, life as we once knew it fades away, becoming nothing more than a distant memory. When we see our reflections, the people looking back at us no longer look familiar. Questions regarding what we could have done differently to avoid the path our lives are on now haunt us. These experiences shape us into different individuals. They make living life an arduous task.

But we are not helpless. And we still have a license to live. Sometimes, embarking on a sad vacation is the best remedy for overcoming or learning to live with trauma. We must embrace those around us even when we feel we have little love to give, for they may return the favor when we need it most. We must return to our roots and refamiliarize ourselves with the many facets of our existence. We cannot let what has hurt and shocked us destroy our belief in the goodness and strength of others, of ourselves.

Humans are capable of so much evil but equally as much good. An individual has the power to restore our dreams. A singular natural event can give us hope. And one action can drastically alter the trajectory of our lives. We can create routines or plan our days out ahead of time, but no one and nothing bends to our wills. Someone or something might make everything feel a little better than it has been lately at any given time.

We've been around for so long, yet we still have not figured out this whole living life thing. Eureka understands we humans will probably never figure that out. So, it asks us to do one thing – it asks us not to die. It asks us to keep on keeping on because time and love have the power to heal all wounds. And maybe, just maybe, with enough time and some help along the way, we will figure out how to get to a place of peace and contentment.

Ben liked these reviews