Spider-Man: Far from Home

Spider-Man: Far from Home ★★★½

Far From Home doubles down on the pure joy of its predecessor offering an engaging story in a post-snap world, yet still being grounded in the child-mind of Peter Parker. Every time Jake Gyllenhaal appeared on screen my face lit up because of his excellent performance, but then the Mysterio scenes themselves are just beautifully created spreading fear and anxiety throughout the audience. Even though I knew what twist would come, Marvel still recreated it - as usual - with a modern spin on the usual comics tale.

I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite Marvel movies but definitely betters Homecoming although still relies on the larger MCU world a little too much, although this creates something nuanced with the twists and illusions later in the film. Despite that, Marvel (or Sony?) completely nails the character, offering a charming coming of age story against the backdrop of a changing world and characters that is just pure fun with a laugh around every corner. Possibly the greatest mid-credits scene of all time, same amount of reaction in my midnight screening than when Cap grabbed Mjolnir in Endgame.

Brendan liked these reviews