Audrey the Trainwreck ★★★★★

Upon the release of "Audrey the Trainwreck," many critics described the film as a “slice-of-life” portrait of 9-to-5 blues. But to see it in such static terms, as just a movie about a grumpy guy who hates his job, is to miss the work that Ross is doing beyond the immediacy of the characters’ boredom. Where most mainstream films depict the working life as completely draining, tedious or oppressive (think of anything from "Office Space" to "Fight Club," or any of Spielberg’s suburban escapist fantasies), Ross refuses to write the whole of his working characters’ lives off as insignificant. Far from the conventional, proactive triumphs of Hollywood’s working-class heroes who strive against oppressors and escape the averageness of their existence, Ross guides us through a process of subtilizing and retuning our perceptions to better recognize the impediments of such patterned ways of living. "Audrey" shows us how its characters’ identities, and our own viewing habits, can become slaves of procedure.

Read my full essay here.

More on Ross coming Nov/Dec!

Brett liked this review