Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★

When this film first reached theatres I planned on going to see it, but with a newbie at home, it becomes increasing difficult to find time to get out of the house to see films. But in late December I had a chance to see a movie, and there were two choices, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Django Unchained. Being a fan of The Lord of the Rings, I chose to watch The Hobbit (in 48 FPS 3D) because I thought if I could only see one movie on the big screen, that should be the one...boy was I wrong.

While this isn't my favorite Tarantino pic. (1. Pulp Ficiton 2.Reservoir Dogs 3.Inglourious Basterds 4. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 5. Django Unchained 6.Kill Bill: Vol. 2 7. Jackie Brown 8. Grindhouse 9. Four Rooms), I still really dug this movie, especially since I have recently viewed some Blaxploitation pictures, which this film is an homage to.

Tarantino can construct a scene better than almost any director working today. While most scenes last about a minute or two, I admire how Quent composes scenes that last ten or fifteen minutes (see the opening scene to Inglourious Basterds), and how he slowly heightens the tension throughout a scene. Django has several scenes like that. While not everything in the movie worked for me, (the entire mandingo storyline felt forced, unnecessary and served only to move the plot forward) this is a movie only Tarantino could have made, and he is someone I will always indulge.