Your Name.

Your Name. ★★★★½

When you wake up tomorrow, try to remember your most recent dream. Remember who was in it. Remember their names. Remember the details. What happened? How'd you get there? How did it end? Chances are you won't be able to recall the specifics, and a little while later it'll be gone. What we usually remember is the feeling; the emotion or reaction that the dream stirred in us. If it's a happy feeling, we try desperately to remember what happened, maybe so we can return to it the next night. This is especially true when we struggle with what's going on in our everyday life. If you're unhappy with your job or school or relationships or any other aspect of your life, that escape within dream is intoxicating.

At its core, Your Name. is a film about trying to recapture that dream feeling. The film follows Taki and Mitsuha, two teenagers who discover they are swapping bodies while sleeping. Both of them have become disillusioned with their lives; Taki a young man in Tokyo and Mitsuha a young woman in the countryside. Teenagers seeking to escape from their situations is the plot of a thousand coming-of-age films, but very few portray that feeling in as unique, dense, and cosmic a way.

Brian liked these reviews