It's Such a Beautiful Day

It's Such a Beautiful Day ★★★★★

“Bill dropped his keys on the counter, and stood there staring at them, suddenly thinking about all the times he had thrown his keys there before, and how many days of his life were wasted repeating the same tasks and rituals in his apartment, and then he wondered if in reality this was his life and the unusual part was his time spent doing other things.”
#4 on Berken's Favorite Movies Of 2012
#25 on Berken's Favorite Movies Of All Time

Even if it had nothing else going for it, the unique visual language that Such A Beautiful Day invents - a combination of childishly simple animation, unsettling images taken with an outdated camera of which only a few still exist worldwide, and an old-fashioned projection effect used to frame the images for maximum effect - would be enough to make it a singular entity in film history.

But that isn't what broke me emotionally after first viewing or persuaded me to come back for a second masochistic experience an hour later, demolishing my psyche even further. It's the story of a man whose mental health slowly relents to flawed genes that have long pre-ordained his fate, told through the type of spare, seemingly minor, yet telling and often hilarious details that are more characteristic of a short story than most movies. It's how the movie keeps you on a razor's edge, never letting the viewer off light by allowing comfortable classification as a dark comedy or a humanist tragedy. It's the best ending of a movie this year, simultaneously encouraging the viewer to feel both emotions in equal measure.

A minimalist cartoon that admires the beauty of the universe through the eyes of a sick man, It's Such A Beautiful Day is the kind of movie that imprints on your mind and stays there. I don't expect I'll ever forget it.

Berken liked this review