Nerve ★★★

Nerve is very much of its time. It's difficult to imagine this film existing, and having so much relevancy, in the past. We live in a time where it's so easy to become famous. I mean, you can literally become famous for lip syncing to music through an app nowadays. We also live in a time where people seek validation through social media. Whether it's how many likes an Instagram picture gets, or how many followers someone has on Twitter, people constantly look for attention. Not necessarily in a narcissistic way, though that is prevalent, but more in the sense that we all want to be liked. Social media just acts as another means for that to happen.

Nerve does take those two statements to an extreme, but it's also aware of that, at least for the most part. Even though Nerve doesn't have the best understanding of social media and technology, it still has more of an understanding than most films about or built around the subject. With that being said, talks of the "dark web" and secret hacking communities feels almost too ridiculous, even for a film whose premise itself is ridiculous. But Nerve revels in its absurdity, and even feels exhilarating at time. I found myself clutching my armrest as Emma Roberts and Dave Franco speed through New York City while the latter is blindfolded.

Nerve is also fun until it isn't. Its third act turns into a series of eye rolling and laughable tropes that halfway through made me almost yell at the screen "What the fuck is happening?!" But what comes before is surprisingly well choreographed action mixed with vibrant cinematography. Nerve is possibly the biggest surprise of the summer. Its views and optimism of the internet and those who frequent it may be a tad too far-fetched, but the ride along the way is well worth it, far more than other movies in theaters right now.

Bryan Andrade liked these reviews