Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★★★

Still holds up at one of the top three Marvel movies. I'm even heavily considering this as a 5-star movie, but I have some hesitations. Basically, all the jibber jabber that ties this in to the "Marvel Universe." It drives a lot of the story, but it also bogs it down. I think James Gunn criticized how Marvel made him include Thanos, so it seems obvious that he did the best he could with what he was given. And boy is his best awesome.

If Gunn had to make lemonade out of lemons, this is the most refreshing lemonade you can possibly imagine. Major kudos for making a movie that faces a challenge like that, and still feels like a comic book *and* a proper movie. Everything in it is based upon characters that are flawed, identifiable, and insanely likeable. I'm a Rocket guy, myself, but just barely more than any of the other characters. Look at how cute he is when he's mutilizing bad guys! The scene where Quill looks on, ashamed at himself, as Rocket is disrobed is one of my favorites. Plus, the ending has got to be in my top five. I mean, pulling off a dance battle with humor and emotion is just amazing.

Grab my hand, Quill, because I just talked myself into giving you that extra half star, buddy!

Todd liked these reviews