Suspiria ★★★★½

I watched Suspiria for the first time last night. It’s one of those movies I SHOULD have already seen, but just hadn’t. I decided to finally remedy that after I read that Luca Guadagnino, who directed my favorite movie of last year, Call Me By Your Name, is doing a remake.

I’ll start off by saying one of my least favorite things in film is bad dubbing. It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. Suspiria is very poorly dubbed throughout. If it didn’t have much else going for it, I probably would have turned it off quickly.

Fortunately it has A LOT more going for it. It’s easily one of the most visually appealing movies ever. It uses color and shadows and shapes in such brilliant ways. It’s atmospheric as hell and perfectly paced. The score is fucking magnificent (I went and listened to some of it again immediately after watching the movie).

It’s also scary exactly when it needs to be. It doles out its chills and thrills slowly, but with absolute mastery. The first death really shocked me. The suddeness of the “zombie” bursting into the room at the end terrified me even though I’m 30 years old. It was like the first time I watched The Ring and Samara crawled out of the TV. Just nopeeeee.

So what I got out of Suspiria is that it’s still a remarkable movie in so many ways. It’s regarded as a major achievement and it should be. Modern audiences probably wouldn’t care for it, which is why I’m now concerned the remake is going to be riddled with jump scares and not much of anything else (I hope not). I think it’s a shame that movies like it just don’t get made anymore.

I learned through Wikipedia that Suspiria is the first part of a trilogy (the final part of which released in fucking 2007!!!!!). So I’m going to hunt down the sequels and watch them. I hope they’re just as good as Suspiria. They’re sequels, so I doubt it, but I hope so.