Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

Mulholland Drive walks the fine line between utterly mesmerizing and totally incomprehensible. In the end, I've decided that I love this movie so much. So much of its meaning is unclear to the audience, and we keep thinking about it to guess what the meaning was. What was all that about the blue key and the box? Betty, Rita, Diane . . . who are they, really? Who are the old couple who laugh ominously and cause Betty — no, Diane — to commit suicide? What exactly happened in the movie? Are the events of the movie even tangible?

We may never know. I, for one, think the style of the movie is so unique. It's got a beauty to it, but the music slowly stirring unease from the audience and slowly rising in a crescendo, that really grabbed my attention. The way Naomi Watt's character is slowly tainted by the darker side of Hollywood, the one that David Lynch supposedly wants to drag, is so awful that you feel disgust. The way this movie subverts expectations and makes the narrative even more confusing by adding stylish shots and disconnected sequences is just so fascinating to me. I realize that this review is very incomprehensible too, but that's just because of the nature of the movie itself. It's just . . . it defies explanation. It's just amazing.

Ethan liked these reviews