Cloud Atlas ★★★★

June Challenge film 55. What can I say about this film that hasn't been said far more eloquently by others? The first 15 minutes or so of this movie I found to be very nonsensical and I seriously considered turning it off and cutting my losses on the rental. Thankfully, I am not someone who usually turns things off and I stuck with it.

Once you get into the various characters and their different timelines, this film really becomes a fantastic piece of storytelling. It is amazingly displayed how interconnected everyone is and how the past, present, and future echo in one's various incarnations. It all became very fascinating to me. While it did seem a bit heavy-handed and preachy at times, this didn't bug me as much as I expected it to going into this. The only complaint I have is the immense run time. At various times, it felt like different character arcs were coming to an end, but then more was piled on. I suppose it is not too much of a complaint since it did work for me in the end, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I felt the length.

Eric (bugrom) liked this review