Halloween

Halloween ★★★★★

"You're not supposed to go up there."
"Yes, I am."
"Uh-uh. That's the spook house."
"Just watch."
"Lonnie Elam said never to go up there. Lonnie Elam said that's a haunted house. He said awful stuff happened there once."
"Lonnie Elam probably won't get out of the sixth grade."

Halloween and I haven't had a great relationship over the years. I didn't see the film until I was graduating from high school and while I didn't hate it, I was underwhelmed by it at best. The Thing was my John Carpenter jam.

I watched it a few more times after that and my opinion of it didn't really change. Not until the Rob Zombie remake came out. That film spoke to me more just for the fact that Michael Myers was just a fucked up kid who took to murder like a duck to water and not some supernatural evil that couldn't die. The reality of it was more frightening. It could happen. With all the negative backlash that the remake got, I found myself distancing myself more and more from the original. I never watched it again.

Until today...

Watching it today, I'm now even more convinced that I was a complete fucking idiot until I turned 40. There's so much that goes on subtly in the background. Michael's always nearby, either in the car or on foot. I absolutely love the way he tilts his head and contemplates his work after he stabs Bob to the wall in the kitchen. Jamie Lee Curtis is so good in this. I don't know what I was thinking. This really is a magnificent film.

bulletproofQpid liked these reviews