Villains

Villains ★★★★

"But you know what I think the most telling thing about you is? It's... It's the little girl you've got chained up in the basement. Yeah. Now, let me sell you something, George. We're gonna go down there and we're gonna unlock that little girl. And she's gonna come with us and you are not gonna say shit. You know why you're not gonna say shit? Because you're a psychopath with a little girl locked up in his basement. And there's no way you'd involve the cops without them somehow finding out that you're a psychopath with a little girl locked up in his basement. Now go get the fucking keys, George."

I'm not sure why It Follows resonates with people so much while Villains doesn't, but I'm definitely in the camp that believes this to be the much better film with a much stronger performance from Maika Monroe, even though I thought she was the best thing in It Follows. Bill Skarsgård shows that he's much more than just a creepy clown named Pennywise and he and Jeffrey Donovan put on a show as two men trying to get and then maintain the upper hand in a very fucked up situation. The off kilter atmosphere and bizarre humor is very much right up my alley and I enjoyed Villains quite a bit.

bulletproofQpid liked these reviews