Parasite ★★★★★

Film365 | Film #22

You know what kind of plan never fails? No plan at all.

Wow. What a masterpiece. I’m glad that I saw this before the Oscars ceremony this evening; I hope that the Academy recognises the brilliance of this film. It’s going straight into my top ten of all time and it might move even higher after a rewatch. Bong Joon-ho is a genius.

Excuse the bad pun, but Parasite is infectious in many regards. It is loaded with symbolism, foreshadowing and socio-political critique in such a nuanced way, made all the more impressive by the fact that such themes did not come across as preachy or in-your-face; rather, they were often manifest beneath the surface, or under the skin – the parasitic themes fundamentally and inextricably guiding the wider processes of the host, the film itself. In many respects, Parasite reminds me of Get Out , a film that I hold in the highest esteem.

Ultimately, when the credits roll, you are left to gravely reflect on an immeasurable number of issues, including but by no means limited to: capitalism, society, social class, wealth disparity, inequality, role performance, careers, life plans, climate change, the unfairness of life, and the interplay amongst these matters.

The quality runs throughout the fabric of this film, evident in its dialogue, cinematography, acting, direction, set, sound and production design, editing, score and every other facet. Yet, unlike some of the social factors presented by the film, these cinematic elements did not feel unbalanced, unequal or disproportionate; not one felt weak, undeveloped, underwhelming or unattended.

The entire cast did an exceptional job at bringing this narrative to life.

This film is going to be on my mind for a while for sure. I am already enjoying reading up on other people’s observations and interpretations, especially of things that I missed myself. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be rewatching this at least one or two more times over the coming weeks.

I have more that I want to say, but I am still in awe, so I'll save it for a rewatch review write up.

Jordan-Luke liked these reviews