Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

It took me nearly an entire month to cope with and subsequently rewatch/review this beast of a film. Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion is a genre bending animation stunner, a commentary on the audience author membrane, a delicate tackling of toxic masculinity, etc. But most of all, it is a deeply cathartic coping mechanism for dealing with depression and the inevitability of death. It is a way to deal with the loneliness of life under the guise of a mecha anime that is clearly made by a passionate artist that was dealing with his own personal issues at the time.

I put off watching both the original series and this film for so long, and I'm so glad I stopped doing that and finally experienced it. It's a film that pushes the boundaries in all aspects of filmmaking and is something I had never realized I needed in my life. Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion is an exciting piece of action cinema while at the same time being a brutally honest and dour horror film that is a wake up call for reality, and it is something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Justin liked this review