Stoker ★★★★

Courtesy of Empire’s five-star review, I was itching to see Stoker. While hype surrounding it centres on the fact that it is South Korean director Chan-wook’s first English language film, I was more interested by the trio of actors heading it up. So far in her (comparatively) short career I haven’t been disappointed by Wasikowska, and Kidman is another who rarely disappoints. Goode too has an impressive track record, with star turns in Watchmen, Match Point and A Single Man.

So, last Friday night, my boyfriend and I joined the handful of other people who were watching Stoker on its opening night. At first there were only five of us in the theatre, though eventually that number did creep up to 11. With a film like Stoker, that added intimacy caused by the rows of empty seats definitely adds to the atmosphere.

As the lights dimmed and the stylised credits started rolling, I started wondering just how scary it was going to be. I knew it wasn’t going to be jump-out-of-your-seat type of scary or blood’n'guts either, but the classification screen at the start that said ‘sexual violence’ had me thinking…

Read the full review on my blog: clairepacker.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/review-stoker/