2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

It’s just a masterpiece. Nothing like it. Heavily debated and polarising which I think is why it sticks with me so much. There are so many different ways to view this film and interpret it and it’s probably the first time I saw a film that creates this sort of feeling.

The music and cinematography and set design and sound design all collaborate in creating such a mesmerising experience. You lose yourself in the vast expanse of space and I think it’s wild how without major character development and a lack of focus on the dialogue (in comparison to all elements I listed above) Kubrick creates such an intriguing story and one that is still being deciphered over 50 years later.

While I’d love to dig into my interpretation of the film, ultimately I don’t think it’s worth it to try and summarise this briefly. It’s amazing the way the film questions how we define evolution, the power that humans have at their disposal with the ability to create such complex devices doesn’t necessarily mean we’re heightening our potential as a species. I think it’s clever the way he denounces the evolution of such devices by saying evolving is bringing out something that’s buried within humans, not within computers. And while these devices may be massively helpful, ultimately it just stunting how we as a human race can evolve. And the ending is at the birth of a new era where with all the secrets of the universe and man revealed we can truly bask in our true form and reach our full potential as a species.

I felt confused writing that, but I gave deciphering this film a go. Hence why this film thrives off subjective thoughts and interpretations.

cadburyhedges liked these reviews